Tuesday, July 7, 2009

New Internship

So I have a lot to say.

I got a new internship!!

I now work with the Organization of American States (OAS) for an internship with the office of the Secretary General of the OAS. I didn't go looking for it, my advisor from The Washington Center called me and said that usually they don't encourage or promote students to leave their internship but since I had mentioned that my internship wasn't really what I wanted, she thought of me when this came up. The OAS is a very important organization and they want someone with a good GPA, preferably bilingual, and who is interested in international affairs. It is a great way to meet more people and I think I can really network since it will be more along the lines of what I actually want to do.

I feel bad though because I had to to leave my job. They really liked me and even though it's not my cup of tea, I did fit in well. But it's not gonna help me push forward with my interests, so it's complicated. There weren't very happy. But like I said, The Washington Center contacted me and told me that they usually don't do this but since the OAS is such a more prominent organization and needed an intern, they would make an exception.

I'm really glad I decided to change. It was stressful when I tried to quit my old internship. They didn't want to let me leave but finally I was able to say I wasn't going to stay. My new internship is so cool. I am like 10 seconds away from where the ambassadors of the OAS meet to discuss topics such as Cuba being expelled from the OAS and the recent Honduras crisis.

It's fun too because my supervisor is always introducing me to important people and when they ask where I went to school I tell them "A small public university in Texas called Angelo State University" Of course no one has heard of ASU and wanted to hear that I was from UT or Rice but then my supervisor says "But these small universities have some great students as well. Jamie has a very impressive resume." :-) Yes I am excited about my "impressive resume".

Just so people know, I got both of my internship partially on the basis that I speak Spanish. It wasn't required but it certainly favored me. I just want to stress the importance of knowing another language especially if you parents are bilingual.

4th of July

This past weekend was amazing for the 4th. I got to see the fireworks on the grass of the Washington Monument looking towards the Lincoln Memorial. They seemed to be coming at me as they exploded in the air. I also got to see Natasha Bedingfield, the Jersey Boys, Aretha Franklin, and the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) as they practiced for the 4th of July Celebration. I think I am going to see the NSO sometime this month as they perform some of the music of John Williams. I can't decide if I want to see that one or the music from Blue Planet.

Family

I realize I haven't written in a long time but I have gotten to see 2 of my cousins while I'm down here. It was nice to have some sense of family for a weekend. Next weekend I have a cousin getting married, so I will be going to see them. They only live about 1 hour away, so it is not far. My other cousin lives close to UVA, Charlottesville and thats only 3 hours away.

Future

So I have a surprise. I think my future plans have changed once again. Just in case you don't know what my plans were, here is a refresher. I was going to work this year out and apply to several graduate schools and try to enter a program in international affairs with a focus on sustainable development.

But now I am thinking that I will join the Peace Corps. It's a 27 month commitment and I've thought about if for sometime and I think that if I'm going to do it, now is the time. I can always come back after and do my grad school. Who said I have to be in the real world by the time I'm 25? I think the Peace Corps will really help me in my development and I think that it will give me some time to think about what exactly I want to do. The process can take up to 9 months but with the recent expansion, I think they said 12 months is the expected norm. My plan is to apply before I leave DC, that way I have my application in by this summer. We'll see what happens. I have yet to tell my family so I bet they will be reading this on here and I can already imagine their reactions. I don't plan on telling my parents though until I am more sure about it. I don't need them freaking out any more than they already are. So to all my 10 siblings: PLEASE DO NOT TELL MOM AND DAD.

Have a great summer and sorry if it was too long.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, Love your blog! You're only problem is that you don't need to apologize, it's not too long, maybe too short :) Sounds like you are figuring yourself out very well. It looks like you are doing well balancing your life..taking time to enjoy where you are and working hard to achieve your goals. If I have any regrets, it would be not knowing how to be silly and that some things just are...like your friend said....go see some great music, grin and do not dwell on the nut, God probably saw the squirrel was pooped and just gave him a break :)--Jill T

    ReplyDelete