Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Down to the End

Once again it's been a while since my last blog. So much to say and yet I don't know how, or even if I should say what I'm really thinking. ha

A friend texted me the other day and said "3 more weeks till I see you" and I thought "wow that is when my internship is over." That was almost two weeks ago. I have about one week and couple of days left. I'm not going to return however straight home. My friend and I are going to Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC after my internship is over. So I'll be home on the 24th, I think.

I've had a great time here in D.C. but I'm ready to go home. That is all I will say, even though I could go on and on about why I feel that way.

Internship

My time here has been great. I like my internship but to be honest, I think my boss doesn't utilize me to my potential. I have been doing a lot of research and writing for a publication that will be published later this year but she likes to change everything and so each draft is constantly being "updated." It is very time consuming.

Peace Corps

I finished my application to the Peace Corps. I am just waiting for one more recommendation letter. I hope to have this done by the time I leave DC. It usually takes a couple of weeks for them to call you and so I want to have it done by the time I get back to Texas.

Friend

This week has been fun because I had a friend who came to visit me for almost a week. We've done some really fun things. We went to the National Symphony Orchestra but it rained while we were on the lawn and I got completely soaked. But the music was that of John Williams and it was amazing. I'm not gonna lie, I would have enjoyed it much more if it hadn't been raining and if I wasn't soaked. But when I did manage to concentrate, it was beautiful.

We also went to this sculpture garden where every Friday they have Jazz music and serve Sangria while you lay on the grass soaking up the sun. That was a very fun afternoon. After that we went to another sculpture garden of a modern art museum. They have an event every three months that is called After Hours and basically the museum stays open from 8-12 and there is live music, a cash bar, and gallery tours. It was a lot of fun.

On Sunday we went to the Zoo which was very exciting. I'm not gonna lie, I've never had as much fun in a zoo before. It was great. We got to see the two Chinese Pandas and their little cub. Did you know that it took like 20-30 years for the scientists at the zoo to successfully deliver a little panda cub? And did you know that a Panda cub is about the size of a stick of butter when he/she is born? Crazy stuff.

Random

There was a protest the other day outside my work about the Honduras crisis. Since I work at the OAS, people come here to protest the decisions of the OAS.

I'm thinking of going to Baltimore this weekend but I don't know if I should. Maybe I'll just go to Annapolis and/or Mt Vernon. Baltimore is not far but I don't know if I should go for a day or two.

I got to sit in the other day at a meeting of the Permanent Council for the OAS. It was fun to see how the ambassadors interacted with each other but it was a very informal meeting with the agenda not having anything substantial.


I know I should make this longer but that is all I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment